Should You Be Steam Cleaning? The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Posted on 16 July 2017
Steam cleaners have taken the industry by storm considering the convenience they offer. However, many individuals are still confused about the process of steam cleaning. Depending on the type of machine, there are two types of steam cleaning:
Dry Steam Cleaners: A dry steam cleaner functions similar to a pressure cooker. Water in the steamer reaches its boiling point and starts producing steam. Generally, the process takes a few minutes depending on the quantity of water. However, to speed up the process it is advised to use hot water.
Cool Steam Cleaners: Such steamers do not require hot water. Hence, the steam produced is humid rather than hot. In contrast to dry steamers, a cold steamer consumes more water and as the temperature of the water is not high this process does not eliminate mold and bacteria.
Steam cleaning has various advantages, especially in today’s busy world. I have certainly found a new love. Aside from hydrogen peroxide, steam cleaning is certainly the second best cleaning option. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of steaming it up:
Advantages Of A Steam Cleaner:
- A steam cleaner can essentially clean all types of surfaces. This includes walls, windows, floors, glass, curtains, ovens, bathrooms, upholstery, etc.
- Steam cleaners are an eco-friendly alternative in contrast to other methods.
- This acts a disinfectant, degreaser and deodorizer for most surfaces.
- A steam cleaner can eliminate bacteria and mold.
- It may not require a detergent depending on the model/variant of the cleaner.
- Steam cleaner can combat rigid stains.
Disadvantages Of A Steam Cleaner:
- While steam cleaning can clean most surfaces, it is not ideal for painted surfaces, antiques, wood or paper. Using a steam cleaner on these surfaces may damage these materials or decrease their value.
- While steam cleaning will effectively clean a surface, users are required to wipe the surface using a cloth once done.
- Steam can damage your skin. Users should wear gloves and take other such safety precautions.
- In contrast to other cleaning methods, a steam cleaner is on the pricier side.
The Steaming Truth
When you invest in a steam cleaner, it is advisable to read and strictly follow the instruction manual provided by the manufacturer. Further, make sure to take all safety precautions to avoid injuries. This will not only ensure your safety, but will also assist you in getting better results. For households that have curtains, carpets and upholstery, investing in a steam cleaner is a smart choice as it can substantially reduce the need for a professional cleaning services.
Here are a few tips for optimal performance of your steam cleaner:
- Before steam cleaning the surface, vacuum to get rid of any dust on the surface.
- Use hot water to speed up the process.
- If your cleaner is detergent compatible, use a mild liquid home-made detergent for effective cleaning. You can also add half a cup of baking soda to disinfect your surfaces.
So, should you be steam cleaning?
Absolutely! A steam cleaner is a handy essential for household's healthy lifestyle which is simple to use and super efficient. Thereby, steam cleaning is an affordable way to add life to your household. Be it rigid stains, bacteria or mold, with steam cleaning you can disinfect and clean the toughest stains without spending an arm and a leg.